Thursday, March 26, 2009

Banyan tree


Happy Gudi Padwa, Ugadi -Its new year in many parts of India.
When I started painting landscapes year back ,I used to try and paint every detail of what i could see and then make complete mess of it. e.g. If I wanted to paint tree then i would try and paint each branch and leaf in detail. Then one fellow senior artist told me to try painting masses. He told me imagine its night and you can't see all the details only shape of the tree still you can make out if its mango tree or pipal tree because every tree has its own characteristics. Here I have tried to paint Banyan tree with very few details to suggest leaves and highlighting its aerial roots.

10 comments:

Mary Paquet said...

Ajay, what a lovely painting to celebrate the New Year. You've captured the essence of the banyan tree. Nice work!

Ramesh Jhawar said...

Nicely painted Ajay.

Art with Liz said...

This is a very beautiful tree Ajay. And I hope you have a wonderful new year.

Ajay Patil said...

Thanks Mary and Ramesh.
Liz Thank you for new year wishes.

ANURAG MEHTA said...

beautiful tree...I can feel a cool breeze coming.You have used cool colors nicely Ajay...

ANURAG MEHTA said...

Ajay,thanks for encouraging me,this is a pen sketch and after that I have filled it with watercolor.

sanjeev joshi said...

hi ajay,i still have not dared to draw a banyan tree!!I find it too difficult to draw,in short congrats for attempting the tree! its lovely.

Ajay Patil said...

Thanks Sanjeev,

Ramesh Jhawar said...

I've tagged you for the Painting for Passion Award.Please visit my blog for details...

Sandeep Khedkar said...

Hi Ajay
I see what you mean by 'Painting the Masses'. Great work.